The Recreation Aide is dedicated to working with individuals with dementia or Alzheimer’s Disease. This role is “people intensive” with a substantial component of the job involving resident interaction. As a team player, the Recreation Aide is responsible to know and interact with all residents, and is empowered to identify any unmet resident needs and participate in the development of a plan of action/solution. With an emphasis on the relationship (making the interactions with the person and their families more important than the task to be completed), this role requires flexibility and spontaneity in order to respond to the changing needs of residents.
The responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Identifying and assessing the residents needs to develop fulfilling activities;
- Encouraging resident participation in programs;
- Providing one on one support to residents while promoting interrelationships within our community;
- Providing support with the process of forecasting and monitoring expenditures of funds allocated to activation/recreation budgets;
- Providing residents with a safe and comfortable environment by remaining aware of risk management issues that could compromise safety or incur liability;
- Maintaining excellent documentation systems;
- Participating in strategic planning and quality management practices.
The ideal candidates will possess:
- 1-3 years of experience with activity planning, preferably in a retirement community or health care environment and experience working with individuals with dementia or Alzheimer's disease;
- Degree or Diploma in Recreation/Activation/Leisure studies, Gerontology or Social Work or equivalent related experience is preferred;
- Completion of a specialized behavioral education certification program considered an asset (GPA, P.I.E.C.E.S, Montessori Methods);
- A warm personality with a demonstrated empathy and understanding of the needs of individuals with dementia or Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Knowledge of risk management issues, conflict resolution skills – ability to apply specialized training techniques and approaches to mitigate an individual’s behaviour;
- Communications Skills – both verbal and written;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with a working knowledge of Word, Excel and Power Point programs;
- Current first aid and CPR certification is an asset;
- Availability to work days, evenings and weekends.
Please ensure you fill in all information before sending your message
* Mandatory fields