Supports the Social Worker, Assistant Director of Care, Director of Care, Nurse Managers, residents and their family members. Works in a team environment within the guidelines of the Central East Local Health Integration Networks (LHIN) Behavioral Support Ontario Project to assist with coordinating the care and services for residents with responsive behaviours. Responsible for promoting and contributing to the development of a person-centred philosophy of care for residents exhibiting Behavioral challenges. Utilizes effective communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate with residents, family members, other staff members and care providers to ensure that a holistic plan of care is in place for the resident. Assists in maintaining a safe and secure environment for residents, visitors and other staff members. All duties are performed in the best interest of the residents and their families, and in accordance with Chartwell’s vision, mission and values statements.
- Utilizes effective communication and interpersonal skills when interacting with residents and family members, as well as, internal and external care partners.
- Delivers person-centered care which recognizes both the uniqueness of each resident and an awareness of one’s own contribution to the relationship, including personal attributes, values, and action to include:
Ø Contributing to the development of the person-centered philosophy of care.
Ø Promoting and preserving the abilities and self-esteem of the resident.
Ø Promoting the residents’ integration to the environment.
Ø Developing strategies to promote optimal quality of life for the resident with responsive behaviours.
- Uses assessment tools based on best practices to conduct initial and on-going assessments describing interventions with respect to the behaviours of the residents including:
Ø Documenting observational behaviours, recognizing that they have meaning, assessing and accounting for how the behaviours impact the care delivery process.
Ø Assessing the meaning and identifying the behavioral risk using objective, systematic and holistic processes that take into account the P.I.E.C.E.S.
Ø Identifying caregiver strategies that are resident-centred, age appropriate and maintain the resident’s dignity when responding to the behaviours and managing the associated risks.
- Ensures that there is a current plan of care in place for the resident with responsive behaviours that directs the staff in providing care and mitigating risk to the resident, other residents, staff members, and care providers.
- Liaises with external partners to support resident-centred care.
- Conducts resident case reviews to support the plan of care for the responsive behaviour residents.
Resident Relations (Continued):
- Responds to resident or family member concerns and ensures appropriate action is taken within decision-making authority and/or brings to the attention of the Director of Care.
- Acts as a mentor and coach to staff to ensure collaboration of care and services for responsive behaviours.
- Advises Behavioral Support Worker – PSW on their work and job duties.
Budget & Financial
Marketing & Occupancy:
- Effectively communicates and interacts with residents, family members, visitors and volunteers in a professional and courteous manner.
- Understands and upholds all rules and requirements under applicable legislation (including but not limited to the Employment Standards Act, Human Rights Code, Ontario Labour Relations Act, the Ontario Health and Safety Act, Long Term Care Homes Act).
- Conducts duties in accordance with Chartwell policies and procedures, as well as, government regulations, laws and policies.
- Understands and follows all health and safety policies and procedures. Works safely to reduce the risk of injury to self, other staff members and residents. Promptly reports all actual or potentially hazardous situations.
- Maintains confidentiality of residents’ personal information.
Operational & Administrative Systems:
- Collaborates with the Director of Social Services and Assistant Director of Care.
- Conducts weekly rounds with the PSW Behavioral Support staff and P.I.E.C.E.S. Nurse:
Ø Advises senior management of areas of risk associated with responsive behaviours.
- Participates in quality improvement activities and takes part in reporting monthly statistics on responsive behaviours.
- Attends Professional Advisory Committee on a quarterly basis.
- Collaborates with the pharmacist and physician, and maintains a working knowledge of how medication treatment affects the care of residents.
- Demonstrates an understanding and commitment to the philosophy, objectives, and policies of the residence and the Behavioral Support Ontario Project.
- Provides quality customer service to all parties, including but not limited to: the Management Team, Corporate Office, other staff members, as well as, residents and their family members.
- Completes all tasks, duties and documentation with efficiency and professionalism.
- Attends Behavioral support committee meetings as required.
- Provides feedback and receives direction, work assignments and evaluation of work from the Director of Social Services and the Assistant Director of Care.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Demonstrates knowledge in dementia care, delirium, mental health issues and the impact that it has on the resident’s quality of life, family members and care partners.
- Possesses and maintains RPN certification, qualifications and maintains good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Possesses and maintains specialized qualifications to this position.
Skills & Abilities:
- Assumes responsibility for personal development through participation in staff development programs, seminars and workshops. Attends ongoing training to support skill development in managing residents with responsive behaviors.
- Must be available for flexible hours in order to meet the Behavioral needs of residents exhibiting responsive behaviors.
- Must be prepared to respond to emergency situations.
- Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Persons Check.
Candidates must be able to work days, evenings, nights and weekends
Please ensure you fill in all information before sending your message
* Mandatory fields