The Prep Cook assists in the preparation of meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) for residents and guests using production checks and standardized recipes. The Dishwasher is responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of all china, silverware and cookware while ensuring that all kitchen equipment and surfaces are kept clean, sanitized and operational. Assists in maintaining a safe and secure environment for residents, visitors and other staff members.
The responsibilities of the role include but are not limited to:
- Assists in the preparation of meals for residents and guests in accordance with Chartwell Brand Hospitality Standards;
- Assists in the preparation of meals and food for special events in a manner that promotes a positive image and reputation to the public at large;
- Ensures compliance with safe food handling practices and public health requirements;
- Assists in the preparation and cooking of meals according to pre-set menus and the special dietary requirements of residents and guests;
- Prepares cooking ingredients by washing and chopping vegetables, cutting meat, etc.
- Measures ingredients and seasonings to be used in cooking.
- Performs basic cooking duties such as reducing sauces, etc., washes and cuts food;
- Assists in portioning, arranging and garnishing food, prepares salads and sandwiches;
- Ensures use of proper food handling techniques;
- Assists in receiving and storing incoming food and supplies.
- Completes daily temperature audits of fridge, freezer and storerooms and records findings;
- Maintains a clean and orderly kitchen by washing dishes/utensils, sanitizing work surfaces, etc.;
- Washes dishes, glassware, flatware, pots and/or pans using dishwasher or by hand;
- Loads and empties dishwasher;
- Places clean dishes, utensils and cooking equipment in storage areas;
- Cleans and sanitizes dishwasher mats, dish carts and dish racks;
- Maintains kitchen equipment and work areas (blenders, refrigerators, dishwashers, work table surfaces, stoves, ovens, grills, exhaust hood, etc.) in a clean and orderly condition;
- Cleans floors and walls in kitchen area;
- Empties and cleans all waste containers and transports garbage to designated area;
- Maintains utility and store rooms in a tidy and sanitary condition;
- Performs other related duties as required.
The ideal candidates will possess:
- 1 – 2 years’ experience in a volume food preparation environment is an asset (preferably in a retirement residence, long term care residence or the hospitality industry);
- Must possess a Food Safe Level 1 certificate (Food Safe Level 2 certificate preferred);
- Completion of secondary school education or equivalent;
- Team player;
- Ability to read, write and follow written and verbal instructions;
- Ability to organize work and work under strict time constraints;
- Must be able to operate related equipment;
- Work requires standing for extended periods of time, lifting and carrying objects of 40 lbs;
- Must possess high standard of hygiene and cleanliness;
- Customer service orientation.
Candidates must be available to work days, evenings and weekends as needed.
Please ensure you fill in all information before sending your message
* Mandatory fields