As a Maintenance Assistant at a V!VA Retirement Community, you will be accountable to your schedule and job duties as they pertain to your assigned shifts. You will collaborate and work as a team player with emphasis on building maintenance. The incumbent is responsible for providing basic maintenance services to Community Members and arranging for more intensive service if/when it is needed, under the direction of the Services Manager. This role ensures that all Community Members’ and Team Members’ health and safety is maintained.
Key Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Schedules maintenance repairs, performs preventive maintenance and coordinates all replacement and new installation activities. These activities are done in a timely manner with minimum disruption to Community Members (HVAC, plumbing, water, gas, electrical, mechanical, communications, carpentry, painting, drywall, refinishing, grounds care and equipment maintenance).
- Ensures safe operation of swimming pool. Maintains logs/records of pool chemistry and adjustments to it. Orders needed supplies for the pool in consultation with the Services Manager
- Effectively coordinates and completes the readiness of all vacated suites so as to provide quick availability to new prospects.
- Participates in annual safety review of all suites and common areas and keeps records of the same
- Observes, notes and maintains the common areas in good repair and pleasing to the eye at all times. Any needed repair will be done in a timely manner
- Inspects all equipment and systems on a regular basis to ensure proper functioning and safety, including security and emergency systems such as back-up generator and cameras.
- Performs or arranges emergency maintenance duties as required, in consultation with Services Manager.
- Maintains maintenance records, receipts, and ledgers are kept and ensures proper follow-up of all maintenance contracts as directed
- Participates in all Health and Safety, fire Safety and Quality Improvement programs including conducting fire safety training for Team Members and monthly fire drill procedures
- Programs computerized entry system, fobs for Community Member suites and other entry points as directed
- Ensures issue resolution relating to Maintenance Services are followed through with in cooperation with Community Members, families, other V!VA Team Members.
- Ensures good communication of building or Community Member issues to the Services Manager via means as necessary (email, written, verbal)
- Conduct monthly, quarterly and annual audits as requested
- Ensures and follows effective Infection Control protocols are in place when needed i.e. outbreak
- Request all needed education to do with Wellness for Community Members and Team Members to maximize knowledge that will ensure safety and healthy living
- Attends and contributes to all Services department meetings and applicable Community meetings
- Implements, monitors, and achieves all approved departmental goals as set out
- Other projects and responsibilities as assigned
Qualifications include but not limited to:
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in building maintenance operations. Some experience in a retirement setting is desired
- Post secondary training in key areas of building maintenance is preferred
- Sound knowledge of plumbing, HVAC, electrical and minor painting and drywall repairs
- Knowledgeable of the Provincial Health and Safety regulations
- Proficient in building maintenance systems
- Knowledge in MS office (outlook, word, excel)
- Ability to communicate clearly with peers and subordinates. Ability to work as a Team Member, understanding the priorities of others
- Ability to manage their time effectively with little supervision
- Up to date police check-vulnerable sector * verified annually
- Strong customer orientation to older adults
- Positive attitude, enthusiasm and energy
- Valid CPR/First Aid is an asset
- Able to bend, stretch, sit and stand for long periods as well as climb ladders and work in congested space. Able to lift a maximum of 50 lbs
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to work flexible hours and weekends
- Available to be on call for emergencies
Please ensure you fill in all information before sending your message
* Mandatory fields