- Supervises the preparation and service of all meals and nourishments following specified menus and standardized recipes.
- Assists the Executive Director to ensure that the home-wide Quality Management Program is implemented and ongoing, specifically within the Dietary Department.
- Promotes a positive team spirit within the department and the home.
- Control of the operational budget for the Dietary department including adherence to food service related enhancement contracts.
- Follows infection control procedures.
- Selects, orients, supervises, delegates tasks, and evaluate the performance of the Dietary staff. Prepares performance reviews. Ensures staff participation in orientation and ongoing training. Encourages staff development.
- Ensures compliance with all provincial/long-term care regulations and established peopleCare requirements.
- Refers residents or family members as necessary to Consulting Dietitian for counseling on therapeutic diets.
- Assists in Union matters related to grievance procedures, labour relations management, and contract negotiations, when necessary.
- Conducts daily inspections of the Department to identify/resolve any potential hazards or problems.
- Ensures all Dietary employees are informed of hazards in the Department.
- Responsible for maintaining departmental absenteeism and sick day management. Responsible to hold, record and follow up monthly staff meetings.
- Ensures Dietary staff compliance with home policies and procedures, including safety and sanitation rules and safe working practices.
- Continued monitoring and ongoing documentation of low and stable moderate resident nutritional status with referral to the Consulting Dietitian if health status changes negatively.
- Participation as a member of the interdisciplinary team in the development and evaluation of Resident care plans and attending Resident Care Conferences.
- Ensures maintenance of operational records (i.e.: menus, production charts, food temperatures and refrigerator, freezer and dish machine temperatures) as required.
- Oversees catering services for all scheduled home functions.
- Attends Resident Council and Family Council when invited.
- Establishment of ongoing quality management activities in conjunction with that of the entire home to monitor the appropriateness and effectiveness of the dietary department.
- Remain current with trends in nutritional care and new food service products and methods.
- Is knowledgeable of Resident Bill of Rights and promotes it.
- Performs other duties as are necessary and appropriate.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Successful completion of an accredited program as a Food Service Supervisor/Nutrition Manager.
- Holds current membership in the Canadian Society of Nutrition Management – CSNM.
- Proven experience in large quantity food preparation, financial planning and food purchasing.
- Proven supervisory experience in a unionized long term care setting.
- Must be knowledgeable of nutritional needs of the residents in an LTC home.
- Must demonstrate a creative flair for menu planning, preparation and presentation. Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must have strong leadership skills and proven ability to supervise and secure the co-operation of the dietary employees.
- Must be able to work and communicate effectively with residents of an LTC home. Must be an effective team player who works well with others.
- Must be knowledgeable of the Ontario Food Premises Regulation, Food Safety Code of Practice and Canada’s Food Guide to Healthy Eating, CCHSA/ORCA, Ontario’s Long Term Care Home Program manual, and OH&S Act and regulations, and have knowledge of the inspection protocol process.
Please ensure you fill in all information before sending your message
* Mandatory fields