- Responsible for ensuring his/her practice and conduct meets legislative requirements
- Reviewing 24-72 hour shift report at the beginning of shift
- Provides nursing care in accordance with established nursing standards and principles.
- Ensures physician’s orders and administrative policies are implemented.
- Processes physician’s orders as required.
- Observes, reports and records vital signs, symptoms and conditions of residents.
- Initiates health measures where appropriate.
- Assures observance with required techniques in nursing care.
- Prepares, implements, reviews and evaluates the resident’s plan of care.
- Participates in scheduled and required assessment process.
- Monitors resident’s health and notes any changes in conditions appropriately.
- Initiates appropriate nursing interventions
- Assesses need for referral to physicians or other disciplines.
- Administers medications as required.
- Supports RPN’s in their roles
- Observes changes in resident’s condition resulting from medication.
- Monitors safekeeping of drugs and narcotics.
- Implements established policies, procedures and regulations.
- Participates in Nursing Restorative Programs
- Maintains competency
- Implements vision for resident care and services supporting GPA approach to resident care.
- Participates in the quality assurance process and on-going activities.
- Maintains resident records in compliance with established standards and legislative requirements.
- Participates in quality assurance meetings.
- Advises on resident care needs utilizing the quality assurance model.
- Keeps informed and current on changes to Health and Safety.
- Follows all Health and Safety and safe work practices and guidelines.
- Identifies and corrects inappropriate work practices which may affect the Health and Safety of co-workers.
- Displays an attitude that is focused on working safely and ensuring that the work environment is safe and healthy.
- Uses safe work practices.
- Reports any actual or potential hazard to the immediate supervisor.
- Uses or wears personal protective equipment (or clothing) as required.
- Promptly reports personal injury to supervisor and seeks first aid as needed.
- Participates in fire safety activities and knows the facility fire and disaster plan.
- Maintains a clean and orderly work area.
- Does not use or operate any equipment in a way that would endanger any worker, resident or visitor.
- Supports wellness for residents and employees.
- Complies with WSIB company policies and procedures.
- Reports any incident immediately to supervisor.
- Cooperates with the Return to Work program as identified by WSIB legislation.
- Complies with all computer confidentiality requirements.
- Reports function inconsistencies immediately to supervisor.
- Participates in the orientation and training of new personnel and students.
- Participates in in-service education.
- Attends in-service education to maintain professional competency.
- Attends all mandatory education as provided by company.
- Maintains up to date reflective practice requirements.
- Pursues on-going learning
- Participates in committees/teams/task forces as required.
- Acts as a liaison with physicians, supervisors, other departments, government inspectors, consultants, social workers, clergy, relative or representatives to ensure appropriate resident care.
- Provides guidance and direction to nursing and personal care staff as directed by the Director of Care.
- Monitors the performance of nursing and personal care staff as directed by the Director of Care.
- Refers all nursing and personal care staff personnel issues to the Director of Care.
- Organizes and directs functions and activities related to the provision of resident care.
- Delegates clinical and administrative responsibilities to the appropriate staff.
- Monitors/oversees nursing and personal care staff documentation/reporting responsibilities
- Assists in ensuring an appropriate staffing pattern is maintained by utilizing appropriate company policies, procedures in accordance with the collective agreement or appropriate committee.
- Ensures the availability of nursing supplies.
- Ensures maintenance of equipment.
- Facilitates the admission and discharge process.
- Performs other related functions as directed by supervisor.
- Functions under general guidance
- Directs and monitors nursing and personal care staff
- Provides direction and leadership to subordinates
- Access to highly confidential information
- Acts on the direction of physician’s orders and prescribed standards
- Access to PointClickCare
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Current certificate of competency from the College of Nurses of Ontario, in good standing
- Registered with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Must maintain competencies as per the governing College standards
- Experience in Long-Term Care considered an asset
- Experience working with seniors and unregulated care providers
- Education and experience in gerontology, rehabilitation, community/complex/long term care an asset
- Must possess strong written and oral communication, critical thinking, care coordination, time management and customer focus skills
- Must have demonstrated sound clinical knowledge and ability to delegate to unregulated care providers
- Skills in use of computer and Microsoft Office applications
Please ensure you fill in all information before sending your message
* Mandatory fields