The primary purpose of this position is to assist in planning, organizing, implementing, evaluating, and directing the overall operation of the Social Services Department in accordance with current federal, state, and local standards, guidelines and regulations, our established policies and procedures, and as may be directed by the Director of Social Services and/or Executive Director, to assure that the medically related emotional and social needs of the resident are met/maintained on an individual basis.
Essential Job Functions Duties and Responsibilities
Social Services Functions
- Conduct an initial social service assessment including MMSE, social history, intake for MDS, and admit note.
- Review nursing charts and complete MDS within facility timelines.
- Develop a written plan of care (preliminary and comprehensive) for each resident that identifies the problems/needs of the resident and the goals to be accomplished for each problem/need identified.
- Ensure that all social services personnel are aware of the care plan and that care plans are used in providing daily social services to the resident. Review nurses' notes to determine if the care plan is being followed. Report problem areas to the Director of Nursing.
- Evaluate social and family information and assist in determining plans for social treatment. Interview resident/families to obtain social history. Involve the resident/family in planning social service programs when possible.
- Assist in the development, administering, and coordinating of department policies and procedures. Keep abreast of current federal and state regulations, as well as professional standards, and make recommendations on changes in policies and procedures to Executive Director.
- Participate in discharge planning, development and implementation of social care plans and resident assessments
- Provide information to resident/families as to medicare/medicaid, and other financial assistance programs available to the resident.
- Coordinate social service activities with other departments as necessary.
- Assist in providing solutions for social and practical environmental problems including seeking financial assistance, discharge planning (including collaboration with community agencies), and referrals to other community agencies when specialized assistance is required.
- Interpret social, psychological, and emotional needs of the resident/family to the medical staff, attending physician, and other resident care team members.
- Assist in obtaining resources from community social, health and welfare agencies to meet the needs of the resident.
- Ensure that all charted progress notes are informative and descriptive of the services provided and of the resident's response to the service.
- Ensure that social service work areas are maintained in a clean and sanitary manner.
- Recommend to the Director the equipment and supply needs of the department. Place orders for equipment and supplies as necessary or as may be required.
- Assist in arranging transportation to other facilities when necessary.
Must possess the ability to make independent decisions, follow instructions, and accept constructive criticism. Must be able to deal tactfully with personnel, residents, family members, visitors, government agencies/personnel, and the general public. Must be able to work with ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset, and potentially hostile people within the facility. Must be able to speak, write and understand English in a manner that is sufficient for effective communication with supervisors, employees, residents, and families.
Education and Experience
Prefer social work experience in a health care setting working directly with individuals.
Must poses a Licensed Social Worker, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, or Licensed Nurse certification.
Willingness to travel:
0 - 25%
Please ensure you fill in all information before sending your message
* Mandatory fields